Hampton Plantation Shrimp Pilau
Hampton Plantation was once the largest rice producer in the United States.
- 6-8 slices bacon
- 2 cups shrimp (raw, cleaned - save shrimp peelings)
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons green bell pepper, diced
- 1-2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons flour
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 dash pepper, to taste
- Fry bacon until crisp. Set bacon aside. Reserve bacon grease to add to water when cooking rice.
- In a large frying pan on medium high heat, melt butter.
- Add celery and green pepper and saute until soft and tender.
- Add shrimp which have been sprinkled with Worcestershire sauce and dredged in flour.
- Sauté shrimp until pink, about 3-4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cooked rice and mix until rice is all "buttery" and "shrimpy."
- Stir in crumbled bacon.
- Serve hot.
Source: Charleston Receipts