Hoecakes are from the primitive family of pones. A “hoe” was a word for
“griddle.” Hoecakes are cornbread in its unleavened form.
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil oil
- Maple syrup
- Combine the first five ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupsful onto a lightly greased hot griddle. Turn when bubbles
on top begin to pop; cook until second side is golden brown.
- Serve with maple syrup.
Prep: 10 min | Cook: 4 min | Yield: 6 servings