- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or bacon grease, plus more, as needed
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, water, eggs and sugar. Add the buttermilk mixture into the flour and stir until just combined. Do not over-mix or the pancakes will be tough.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until just barely shimmering. Spoon 1/2 cup of the batter in the skillet. Cook until bubbles form all over the surface of the cake. Flip the cake and continue cooking until soft and fluffy, and the center is completely cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more oil as needed.
- Serve hot with butter, pure maple syrup, honey or your favorite pancake topping.
(c) Can Stock Photo / Chuhunova