Low Country Chicken Bog
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage of your choice, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- Place chicken, water, salt and onion in a large pot. Bring to a boil; cook until chicken is tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from pot and let cool. Remove skin and bones and chop remaining meat into bite-size pieces.
- Skim off fat from cooking liquid and measure 3 1/2 cups of this chicken broth into a 6 quart saucepan.
- Add rice, chicken pieces, sausage, herb seasoning and bouillon to the saucepan. Cover the saucepan. Let come to a boil, then reduce heat to low
and cook for 30 minutes. If mixture is too watery or juicy, cook over medium low heat, uncovered, until it reaches the desired consistency. Stir often while cooking.