Meringue-Topped Southern Banana Pudding
At 12 servings, this elegant Southern dessert is a perfect ending for any dinner
Garnish with additional banana slices dipped in lemon juice to prevent darkening
just before serving.
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 2 (4-serving size) boxes JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Cook & Serve Pudding & Pie Filling
- 3 eggs, separated
- 42 NILLA Wafers (1/2 of 12 ounce package)
- 2 large bananas, sliced
- Dash cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add milk to dry pudding mix in medium saucepan; stir until well blended.
- Lightly beat egg yolks in small bowl. Add to milk mixture; mix well. Bring to
full rolling boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Arrange layer of wafers on bottom and up side of 2-quart baking dish. Top with
layers of one third of the pudding and one half of the banana slices. Repeat layers; cover with the remaining pudding.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in medium bowl with electric mixer on high
speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread over pudding, sealing to edge of dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until meringue is browned.
- Serve warm or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Store leftover pudding in refrigerator.
Yield: 12 servings, 2/3 cup each
Nutritional Information: Calories 230; Total fat 6 g; Saturated fat 2 g;
Cholesterol 60 mg; Sodium 350 mg; Carbohydrate 40 g; Dietary fiber 1 g; Sugars 25
g; Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 6 %DV; Vitamin C 4 %DV; Calcium 15 %DV; Iron 4 %DV
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Kraft Foods - kraftrecipes.com