North Carolina Brown-Butter Sweet Potatoes
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6 tablespoons butter (do not use margarine)
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In 5-quart saucepot, heat sweet potatoes and enough water to cover to boiling
over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes
- Drain well and return sweet potatoes to saucepot.
- Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, cook butter over medium heat until browned, but
not burned, 5 to 7 minutes. (Butter should be the color of maple syrup.)
- With potato masher, mash sweet potatoes, brown butter, molasses and salt until
Makes 12 side dish servings.