North Carolina Sausage and Grits Casserole
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds Jimmy Dean sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled
- Bring water and salt to boil. Stir in grits. Return to boil, reduce heat, then
cook for 4 minutes.
- In large bowl combine grits and cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
- Stir in cold milk, thyme and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Stir in eggs, mixing well.
- Stir in sausage. Pour into 13 x 9-inch pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-55 minutes.
Source: Charlotte, North Carolina Cooking with Class cookbook