Old Fashioned Chicken and Slick Dumplings
A real Southern treat! The dumplings are rolled out, not round. They are thin
- 4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken meat
- 2 small carrots, sliced
- 6 potatoes, cubed
- 5 small onions
- 5 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 stalks celery tops
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons rendered chicken fat or Crisco
- Place chicken in a large pot.
- Add salt and pepper, a dash of cayenne, a
bay leaf, and a handful of celery tops.
- Cover with water, and cook until done.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Add vegetables, and continue cooking until vegetables
are nearly done.
- Meanwhile, make the dumplings. Mix together flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, baking
powder and chicken fat or Crisco.
- Mix in enough water to make a stiff dough.
- Divide dough into three parts. Roll out to 1/8 inch thick or a little thicker;
cut into squares.
- Add 1/3 dumplings to simmering chicken, and cook 5 minutes.
- Add another third, and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add the remaining third, and cook 5 minutes longer.