Old Fashioned Fried Sweet Corn
- 6 ears corn, silk removed and washed
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- Bacon drippings
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- Cut corn off cob, about half the thickness of the kernel, then scrape cob.
- Add salt, pepper and flour.
- Mix with 1 cup water. If too thick, add more water as the corn cooks.
- Pour corn mixture into a hot skillet that contains bacon drippings.
- As corn cooks, add butter. Cook over medium heat until corn bubbles, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low. Let cook for about 30 minutes, stirring often. A crust will form around and on the bottom of the skillet when done. The crust will be sweet and chewy.
Photo credit: ulteriorepicure CC BY