Old South Silken Peanut Soup
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 5 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock which is not traditional)
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Dribbles of heavy cream
- Finely-minced celery leaves
- Sauté onion and celery in the butter until soft, but not brown. Stir in
the flour and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the stock a little at a time, whisking, then bring to a boil. Reduce
heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree, solids first, then whisk in peanut butter and cream until the soup
- When ready to serve, reheat (don't let boil), then ladle into small bowls.
- Dribble 1/2 teaspoon of cream in a pretty pattern, then sprinkle with minced
celery leaves and finely crushed peanuts.
- Serve immediately.
- Serve hot as a first course.