- 1 bunch collard greens
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 (4-ounce) piece Canadian bacon
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider or red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Remove the thick ribs from the collard greens and kale; wash in several changes
of water. Chop coarsely.
- Cut the Canadian bacon into chunks and put into a pot with the water and crushed
red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove the bacon from the pot. Mince 1/4 cup and set aside.
- Stir the vegetable broth, sugar and vinegar into the pot.
- Add the greens, cover and let wilt, stirring. Simmer over medium-low heat, partially
covered, about 50 minutes, until tender.
- About 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, stir in the minced Canadian
bacon and pepper to taste. Add the salt only if necessary and serve.
- Serve with cornbread to sop up the juices.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.