- 1 bunch collard greens
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 (4-ounce) piece Canadian bacon
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider or red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Remove the thick ribs from the collard greens and kale; wash in several changes
of water. Chop coarsely.
- Cut the Canadian bacon into chunks and put into a pot with the water and crushed
red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove the bacon from the pot. Mince 1/4 cup and set aside.
- Stir the vegetable broth, sugar and vinegar into the pot.
- Add the greens, cover
and let wilt, stirring. Simmer over medium-low heat, partially covered, about 50
minutes, until tender.
- About 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, stir in the minced Canadian
bacon and pepper to taste. Add the salt only if necessary and serve.
- Serve with cornbread to sop up the juices.