Sea Island Bars
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sifted Martha White self-rising flour
- 1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9-inch square cake pan.
- Melt butter in a 2-quart saucepan over very low heat. Remove from heat.
- Blend in sugar and 2 tablespoons water.
- Stir in flour, then add egg and vanilla extract; beat well.
- Add nuts, coconut and chocolate pieces; stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared pan, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool in pan and cut into bars.
Yield: 16 squares
If using plain flour, stir in 1 1/4 teaspoonsful baking powder with flour.