Simple Southern Lima Beans
A simple recipe for deliciously creamy butter beans that's sure to satisfy. Serve over hot cooked rice and alongside your favorite cornbread or biscuits.
Tip: Cook your limas with just your vegetables, meats and herbs. Save the salt and acidic seasonings for after they’re nice and soft.
- 1 (1 pound) package Camellia Brand Large Lima Beans
- 5 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 ham hock or 1/2 pound seasoning meat (optional)
- 8-10 cups water or chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse and sort beans.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp.
- Add chopped onion to bacon grease in the pot, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, ham hock or seasoning meat, and enough water or broth to cover the beans.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender. Keep beans covered while cooking, by adding more liquid as necessary.
- If using ham hock, remove from pot. If desired, chop or shred ham, discarding skin, bones and cartilage, and stir ham back into beans.
- Season to taste and serve hot.
Prep: 10 min | Cook: 3 hr | Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.