This is excellent to serve as a side dish or to use as the base for okra gumbo.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 pounds okra, washed under cool water, stemmed and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 (1 pound) cans whole tomatoes, crushed with their liquid
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 cup water or chicken broth
- Heat the oven to 350 degree F.
- Pour the oil into the bottom of a large roasting pot, not cast iron.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to mix well. Cover the pot with a lid.
- Bake, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 300 degrees F.
- Continue baking, with the lid on, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the slime has disappeared.
- Bake, uncovered for the last 15 minutes of the cooking time. The time will
vary according to the tenderness of the okra.
- Remove and cool completely before storing in freezer containers.
Yield: 10 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Southern Recipes