Southern Cheese Spoon Bread
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Separate whites and yolks from eggs and keep in separate bowls. Let stand to
warm to room temperature.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine cornmeal and salt; mix well.
- Put water and butter in a medium-size saucepan. Bring mixture to boil over high
heat; pour into corn meal mixture, stirring with a wire whisk.
- Add cheese and stir
until melted. Add milk to corn meal-cheese mixture; beat with the wire whisk until
smooth and no lumps of corn meal remain.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using solid vegetable shortening, lightly grease the inside of a rectangular
or oblong 2-quart casserole. By this time the egg whites should be at room temperature.
- With electric mixer set at high speed, beat egg whites, just until stiff peaks
hold when beaters are slowly lifted.
- Using the same beaters, beat egg yolks until thick and light.
- Using a rubber scraper, fold egg whites, yolks, cayenne and baking
powder into cornmeal mixture until ingredients are just combined.
- Turn into prepared casserole.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until golden and puffed.
- Serve hot with additional butter.
Yield: 8 servings