Southern Chicken Casserole
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) frying chicken, cut up
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 4 medium potatoes, pared
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots, green onions or sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Wash and dry chicken.
- In Dutch oven, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon.
- Add chicken, browning well on all sides.
- Remove to a 2-quart casserole dish as pieces brown.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into 3 slices. Add to bacon fat. Brown on
- Remove and place on top of chicken.
- Top potatoes with onions.
- Sprinkle with poultry seasoning, salt, black pepper,
shallots (or onion rings) and parsley. Top with the bacon.
- Cover. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour 40 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings