Southern Cooked Greens
- 1/4 pound bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 pound mustard, kale or collard greens, stems removed and well rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons beer
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet or sauté pan, fry the bacon, stirring, over medium-high heat
until crisp, 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the sugar and cook, stirring, until melted.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir well, and cook, stirring, until
starting to wilt, about 6 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Cover and keep warm until ready to serve.
Yield: about 2 cups