Southern Cream Cookies
These cookies travel and freeze well.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups black walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cream together the shortening and sugar.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract and sour cream; mix well.
- Stir in the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda to make
a stiff dough.
- Add chopped nuts.
- Drop by teaspoonful onto greased cookie sheet.
- Mix 3 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a saucer.
- Grease the bottom of a jelly glass. Dip into the cinnamon/sugar and gently
press the cookies to flatten the balls of dough.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes or until centers are done.