Southern Fried Sweet Corn
- 6-8 ears fresh sweet corn
- 2 tablespoons butter, or use part bacon drippings*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sugar, optional
* If you are not a bacon grease collector, as most good Southern cooks are, cook
about 5 or six pieces of bacon and use the drippings for this corn. Use the bacon
for another recipe.
- Shuck and silk the corn. Cut the corn off the cob with a sharp knife into a
bowl. Scrape down the cob to remove any juice that is left. This is what makes the corn creamy, so don't skip this
- In a skillet heat together the bacon drippings and the butter.
- Add the fresh corn kernels; cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
Lower heat if necessary to keep the butter from burning.
- Sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, and add about 1 teaspoon of sugar if