Southern Jugged Soup
- 6 potatoes, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 tomatoes or 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 turnip, diced
- 1 can peas
- 1 grated carrot
- 1/4 cup rice
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch allspice
- Arrange vegetables, rice and seasonings in alternate layers in the bottom of
a stone crock with a cover.
- Boil any carcasses of cold chicken, bones of waste meat or steak with trimmings,
in three quarts of water, until liquid is reduced to two quarts.
- Strain, cool and remove.
- Pour the broth over the vegetables.
- Put on the cover and seal, using tape or muslin, to keep in the steam.
- Set crock in a pan of hot water.
- Place in oven and cook from four to six hours.
Recipe published in 1935 Southern Cook Book of Fine Old Dixie Recipes