Southern Shrimp Scampi
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds large shrimp, (16/20 or 21/25 count), peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a bowl, toss garlic, salt and pepper with the shrimp, which may be
refrigerated, well covered, for several hours at this point.
- When ready to cook, heat oil in a large sauté pan over high heat until
it shimmers, then add shrimp and move shrimp around in the pan for about 2
minutes, or until the color just begins to turn from translucent.
- Remove shrimp, reduce heat to medium-high and add wine, scraping up any
bits on the bottom of the pan. Cook for a couple of minutes to reduce, then add butter and swirl the pan to melt it.
- Put shrimp back into pan, stir about a minute to finishing cooking and
add lemon juice.
- Remove to serving dish, sprinkle with parsley and red pepper flakes,
adding more pepper if desired.
- Serve over rice or pasta or as is.
Yield: 2 to 4 servings