Southern Style Smothered Ham
- 2 slices ham, cut 1/2-inch thick (uncooked)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 cups sliced pared apples
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place 1 slice ham in shallow baking pan; spread half the mustard on ham.
- Top with onions and apples; cover with second slice of ham.
- Rub remaining mustard onto meat; place cloves in fat portion of ham.
- Mix sugar and water together; boil 5 minutes.
- Pour syrup over ham.
- Bake for 1 hour, basting with sugar and water syrup 2 or 3 times.