Baked Spanish Rice with
Seafood and Sausage
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can chopped clams
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium peeled
and diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1/2 pound turkey kielbasa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 bell peppers (red and yellow or
green), stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small bulb fennel, cored and finely
- About 6 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or 3 tablespoons
chicken broth mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Optional: 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon
freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound medium-size cooked, peeled and deveined
- 8 black olives (Kalamata or oil-cured), pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- Lemon wedges
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Drain the juice from the clams into a 4-cup measuring cup. Refrigerate the clams.
- Drain the juice from the tomatoes into the measuring cup; reserve the tomatoes.
- Pour the bottled clam juice into the cup; add water to equal 3 1/4 cups liquid.
- Remove the skin from the kielbasa; cut into 1/2-inch slices.
- Heat 1 teaspoon
olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
- When hot, put the kielbasa into
the pan and sauté until golden and cooked through. Remove from the pan.
- Put the remaining oil into the pan.
- Add the onion and sauté 4 minutes.
- Stir the garlic, bell peppers and fennel into the onions.
- Add a couple of tablespoons
water and sauté the vegetables until softened, about 10 minutes. Add additional
water if necessary to keep the vegetables moist.
- Put the tomatoes into the pan along with the wine or broth mixture and saffron.
Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Put the rice into the pan, stirring to coat with the vegetable
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the clam juice mixture into the pan and bring to a boil, stirring well.
Cover and put on center rack of oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Spread the clams, kielbasa, shrimp and olives on top of the rice; do not stir
in at this point.
- Re-cover the pan, put back into the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and fold all of the ingredients together. Set aside, covered,
for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top and serve with lemon wedges.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrients per serving: 432 calories, 23 grams protein, 14 grams fat (3 grams
saturated fat), 50 grams carbohydrates, 94 mg cholesterol