Baked Spanish Rice with Seafood and Sausage
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can chopped clams
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1/2 pound turkey kielbasa sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 bell peppers (red and yellow or green), stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small bulb fennel, cored and finely chopped
- About 6 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or 3 tablespoons chicken broth mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Optional: 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound medium-size cooked, peeled and deveined prawns
- 8 black olives (Kalamata or oil-cured), pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- Lemon wedges
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Drain the juice from the clams into a 4-cup measuring cup. Refrigerate the clams.
- Drain the juice from the tomatoes into the measuring cup; reserve the tomatoes.
- Pour the bottled clam juice into the cup; add water to equal 3 1/4 cups liquid.
- Remove the skin from the kielbasa; cut into 1/2-inch slices.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
- When hot, put the kielbasa into
the pan and sauté until golden and cooked through. Remove from the pan.
- Put the remaining oil into the pan.
- Add the onion and sauté 4 minutes.
- Stir the garlic, bell peppers and fennel into the onions.
- Add a couple of tablespoons
water and sauté the vegetables until softened, about 10 minutes. Add additional
water if necessary to keep the vegetables moist.
- Put the tomatoes into the pan along with the wine or broth mixture and saffron.
Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Put the rice into the pan, stirring to coat with the vegetable mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the clam juice mixture into the pan and bring to a boil, stirring well.
Cover and put on center rack of oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Spread the clams, kielbasa, shrimp and olives on top of the rice; do not stir
in at this point.
- Re-cover the pan, put back into the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and fold all of the ingredients together. Set aside, covered,
for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top and serve with lemon wedges.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrients per serving: 432 calories, 23 grams protein, 14 grams fat (3 grams
saturated fat), 50 grams carbohydrates, 94 mg cholesterol
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Rice Recipes