Using nutrient-packed wild rice with the Latin tastes of bell peppers, walnuts
and raisins not only gives you a range of health benefits but also a rainbow of
visual appeal to impress your friends and family at your next holiday fiesta. Canola
oil helps the flavors meld.
- 8 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth 1.75 L
- 2 cups wild rice 500 mL
- 1 teaspoon salt 5 mL
- 2 tablespoons canola oil 30 mL
- 1 medium white onion,
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers 250 mL
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts 125 mL
- 1/2 cup golden raisins 125 mL
- 1/4 cup finely diced parsley 60 mL
- In large saucepan, bring chicken or vegetable broth to a boil, then stir in wild
rice and salt.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 40-45 minutes or just until kernels
- Uncover and fluff with fork and simmer additional 5 minutes.
- Drain any excess liquid.
- In large serving bowl, place cooked rice and set aside to cool.
- In large sauté pan, heat canola oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for
1 to 2 minutes or until translucent.
- Add peppers, walnuts and raisins. Cook until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Add sautéed mixture and fresh parsley to wild rice. Stir to combine and serve
Yield: 8 cups (2 L)
Serving size 1/2 cup (125 mL)
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving Calories 120 Total Fat 5 g Saturated Fat
0 g Cholesterol 0 mg Carbohydrates 17 g Fiber 2 g Sugars 6 g Protein 3 g Sodium
180 mg Potassium 165 mg
Reprinted with permission from