- 1 cup rice
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped,
or 5 scallions, chopped, including green part
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Salt, to taste
- 3 teaspoons chili
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of Mexican oregano
- 2 beef or chicken bouillon
- Pour hot water over rice and let it stand for about 15 minutes.
- Drain the rice
and rinse it well in cold water.
- Shake the sieve and let the rice drain for a while.
- Shake the rice to remove any excess water.
- In a heavy skillet, brown rice in bacon drippings or oil over low heat.
- Add remaining
ingredients, reduce heat, cover tightly and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
You may use
any mix of the spices you like best.