First of all, sticky rice is actually a type of rice - it's not a method of cooking.
Sticky rice is sometimes called "sweet" rice or "glutinous" rice.
- Unlike the rice we usually eat, which is cooked in water, sticky rice has to
be steamed. So you'll need some sort of large steamer in order to cook it.
- Take 2 cups sticky rice and put in a mixing bowl. Fill with water and rub the
rice vigorously with your hands. The water will turn milky. Drain off the milky
water, replace with fresh water, and keep repeating the process until the water
- Soak the rice in clean water overnight.
- When you're ready to cook the rice, drain and place in the steamer. (If the holes
in the steamer are too large and the rice might fall through, line it with cheesecloth
first.) Fill the pan with water, making sure it doesn't touch the steamer. Steam
for about 30 minutes and check it. It might need another 10 minutes or so.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.