Tomato Gravy over Rice
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes*
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Black pepper
* Or use fresh tomatoes, and cook them down to about 2 cups.
- Fry bacon until done but not crisp. Cut into pieces. Set aside.
- Add onions and green peppers to skillet; sauté until soft.
- Add tomatoes and simmer 20 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix flour with enough cold water to make a smooth paste.
- Add to skillet, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Serve over cooked rice.
Serves 4 to 6.
Note: You can omit the bacon and use any meat available (sausage, ham, etc.),
or you can substitute 2 or 3 tablespoons butter.