Aran Spiosrai (Irish Spice Bread)
This bread will stay moist for several days, and actually improves
somewhat during this period.
- 10 ounces flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 ounces light brown sugar
- 2 ounces candied citron, chopped
- 6 ounces plain or golden raisins
- 4 ounces butter
- 6 ounces Golden Syrup**
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons milk
* Equal parts of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.
** Lyons' Golden Syrup, carried in some fancy groceries.
If you can't find it, use Karo light corn syrup.
- Sift the flour with the soda and baking powder, and the mixed
spice and ginger: then add the brown sugar, chopped peel and raisins: mix. Make a well in the center.
- Melt the butter with the syrup over low heat, then pour into
the well in the mixture. Add the beaten egg and milk and mix very well.
- Pour into a greased 2-pound loaf pan, and bake in
a preheated oven at 325 degrees F for 40-50 minutes, or until it tests done.
Yield: 6 servings