Gramercy Tavern Gingerbread
Cooks' notes: This recipe was tested with Grandma's
brand green-label molasses. The gingerbread is better if made
a day ahead. It will keep 3 days, covered, at room temperature.
- 1 cup oatmeal stout or Guinness Stout
- 1 cup dark molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- 10-inch (10- to 12-cup) Bundt pan
- Unsweetened whipped cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter Bundt pan and
dust with flour, knocking out excess.
- Bring stout and molasses to a boil in a large saucepan and remove
from heat. Whisk in baking soda, then cool to room temperature.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and spices in a large bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and sugars. Whisk in oil, then molasses
mixture. Add to flour mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Pour batter into Bundt pan and rap pan sharply on counter to
eliminate air bubbles. Bake in middle of oven until a tester comes out with just a few moist crumbs adhering, about 50 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Turn out onto rack and
- Serve cake, dusted with confectioners' sugar, with whipped
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Source: Gourmet - February 2000 - Claudia Fleming, pastry chef,
Gramercy Tavern, New York, NY