Irish Tea Bread
- 12 tablespoons strong tea
- 1 pound mixed dried fruit*
- 6 ounces soft brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 ounce butter, melted
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* The mixed fruit can include raisins, currants, and any other
kind of dried fruit you like; chop any larger pieces down to about raisin size.
- Place the tea, mixed fruit and sugar in a bowl; cover and leave
- Stir in the egg and melted butter. Sieve the flour and the baking
powder together and fold them in.
- Line the bottom of a large loaf pan with baking parchment, Pour
the mixture in and smooth the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven (360 degrees F) on the middle shelf for
1 1/2 hours.
- After removing from the oven, leave in the pan for 2 to 3 minutes,
then turn out of pan and cool on a wire rack.
Yield: 4 servings