Irish Butter Cookies
These delicious treats pay subtle homage to the Irish tradition with a drop of
whiskey in the icing.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Challenge European Style Butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) Challenge European Style Butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon whiskey*
- 2 drops green food color
- green cake decorating crystals
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract plus 2 1/2 teaspoons water could be substituted for
- Cookies: Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add flour mixture into
butter mixture. Mix until well blended.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out half of dough at a time on a lightly floured surface
to 1/8-inch thickness (approximate 12-inch circle). Cut into shamrock shapes with floured cookie cutter. Place 1/2 inches
apart on parchment lined or unbuttered cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool completely.
- Spread tops of cookies with buttercream icing and sprinkle with green cake
- Store in an airtight container.
- Buttercream Icing: Cream butter. Add powdered sugar and
blend well. Stir in whiskey and beat well. Blend in food color. Add additional sugar or whiskey if necessary for spreading consistency.
Yield: 4-5 dozen; 1/2 cup icing
Source: Challenge Home Economist
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.