Little Lucky Whoopie Pies
Lucky Charms cereal adds an adorable touch to these green, frosting-filled whoopie pie treats!
Prep: 20 min | Total: 40 min | Yield: 2 dozen
- 1 box butter recipe chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure mint extract
- Green food color
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup marshmallows from any size package Lucky Charms® cereal
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil, and eggs on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, drop heaping tablespoons of cake batter two inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean in the center of a cake.
- Allow cakes to cool on parchment for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- In medium bowl, beat shortening and butter with electric mixer on high speed 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and add granulated sugar, mint extract, food color and milk.
- Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until smooth.
- Spread a small spoonful of mint frosting between two cakes and decorate the edges with Lucky Charms® marshmallows.
Nutritional Information 1 Serving (1 Whoopie Pie) Calories 190 (Calories from Fat 80), Total Fat 8g (Saturated Fat 3g, Trans Fat 0g),Cholesterol 30mg;Sodium 170mg;Total Carbohydrate 27g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 19g),Protein 1g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0.00%; Vitamin C 0.00%; Calcium 4.00%; Iron 4.00%
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate;1 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Blogger Catherine Davis of Oh My Sugar High shares a fun St. Patrick’s Day recipe for Whoopie Pies.