- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup soft butter or margarine
- 5 or 6 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 drops green food coloring
- Cookies: Cream shortening and sugar together.
Beat in eggs. Stir in milk, vanilla extract and salt. Mix in flour. Work the dough with your hands for a minute
before rolling out.
- Roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thick. Use flour as needed to
roll out the cookies.
- For each shamrock, you will need 3 heart-shaped cookies. Place
one heart on an ungreased cookie sheet, then put one heart on each side at a 90 degree angle so the tips
at the bottom are overlapping. Gently press the cookies together where they overlap. Take a lump of dough
the size of a small walnut. Roll into a rope. Press one inch of the rope onto the bottom of the shamrock.
Shape the remaining rope into a stem and flatten gently. (Four or five shamrocks will fit on each cookie
- Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 12 minutes, or until golden
- Immediately remove the cookies from the cookie sheet
and allow to cool.
- When the cookies are cooled thoroughly, frost with shamrock
icing. For added decoration, use cookie sprinkles, if desired.
- Shamrock Icing: Measure the confectioners' sugar
into a mixing bowl. Work the butter or margarine into the dry confectioners' sugar with a mixing spoon. Add salt
and vanilla extract. Add the milk,1 tablespoon at a time, and mix thoroughly after each addition. When the icing
is finished, add the food coloring and mix thoroughly.
Yield: 2 dozen large shamrock cookies