Shamrock Sugar Cookies
Bring a touch of the Emerald Isle to your home with these dazzling Shamrock Sugar Cookies, decorated with green-tinted icing.
Test Kitchen Tip: Mix 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar to use for dusting surface.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Cream of Tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Nutmeg, Ground
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
Emerald Isle Icing
- 13 drops McCormick® Green Food Color
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Mix flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- Gradually stir in flour mixture until well mixed.
- Refrigerate dough for about 1 hour or until firm.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface (see Test Kitchen Tip) to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out dough with shamrock cookie cutter. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Cool on baking sheets 1 minute.
- Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- For the Icing, mix green food color and milk in small bowl. Add confectioners' sugar, stirring until color is evenly distributed and icing is smooth.
- To decorate cookies, hold cookie by its edge and dip top of cookie into icing. (Or spoon the icing onto cookie using a teaspoon.)
- Place glazed cookies on wire rack set over foil-covered baking sheet to dry.
Yield: about 4 dozen or 22 (2 cookie) servings | Prep: 15 min
Cook: 8 to 10 min per batch | Refrigerate: 1 hr
per serving: Calories: 167 Fat: 8 g Carbohydrates: 21 g Cholesterol: 32 mg
Sodium: 122 mg Fiber: 0 Protein: 2 g
Recipe and photo used with permission from: McCormick