St. Patrick's Pinwheels
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter flavor all-vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup or regular pancake syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Green food color
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine sugar and shortening; beat at medium
speed until well blended. Add eggs, corn syrup and vanilla extract; beat until well blended and fluffy.
- In a large mixing bowl combine 3 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt;
gradually add to shortening mixture, beating at low speed until well blended.
- Place half of dough in medium bowl. Stir in peppermint extract and food color,
a few drops at a time, until desired shade of green. Shape the colored and plain doughs into disks. Wrap each with plastic
wrap. Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm.
- Sprinkle flour on large sheet of wax paper. Place peppermint dough on floured
paper; flatten slightly with hands. Turn dough over; cover with another large sheet of wax paper. Roll dough into
14 x 9-inch rectangle. Set aside. Repeat with plain dough.
- Remove top sheet of wax paper from both doughs. Invert plain dough onto
peppermint dough, aligning edges carefully. Roll layers together lightly. Remove wax paper from plain dough. Trim dough
to form rectangle. Roll dough tightly in jellyroll fashion starting with long side and using bottom sheet of wax paper as a guide,
removing wax paper during rolling. Wrap roll in wax paper; freeze at least 30 minutes or until very firm.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove roll from freezer; remove wrapping. Cut into 3/8-inch-thick slices. Place
slices 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until edges of cookies are very lightly browned. Cool
2 minutes on baking sheet; transfer cookies to cooling rack to cool completely.
Yield: 3 dozen cookies
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.