End of the Rainbow Cake
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Frosting of your choice
- Gold foil-covered chocolate coins (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8-inch round
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add
the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture
alternately with milk. Pour into prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the
center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to
- Frost between layers and top and sides of cake. Decorate with
chocolate coins if desired.