Green Velvet Cake with Green Icing
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon green food coloring
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons green liquid food coloring
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans.
- Cake: Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs. Mix well. Dissolve baking
soda in buttermilk. Alternately add flour, cocoa, salt and buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour. Gently stir in green food
coloring. Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until tests done.
- Green Icing: Beat shortening and cream cheese together. Gradually beat in sugar. add milk until a frosting is formed. (Add more milk if necessary.) Beat in food coloring to produce an even color.