Irish Apple Crumble
- Pastry dough, to fit an 8-inch pie pan
- 4 medium Granny Smith apples or red delicious apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-inch pie pan or heatproof
baking dish with the pie dough; prick the dough with the tines of a fork.
- In a bowl, mix together the apples, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon
of the cinnamon.
- In a second bowl, mix together the flour, 1/2 cup of the sugar, and the
unsalted butter; work these ingredients together with a fork until you have a crumbly mixture. Fill the pie crust
with the apple mixture and smooth over the surface. Spoon the crumble over the apple mixture so that the apples
are completely covered.
- Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
over the crumble.
- Bake for 25 minutes.