Irish Coffee Sauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 7 tablespoons water
- 1 cup freshly-made strong coffee
- 2 tablespoons Irish whiskey or bourbon
- Put sugar and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil
over medium heat. Simmer, stirring until the mixture begins to turn a caramel color, about 10 minutes.
Toward the end of the cooking, the mixture will become very foamy as it starts to darken. Stir constantly
at this point and, just as it becomes a medium caramel color, turn off the heat but continue to stir.
It will become darker off the heat.
- Add coffee, being careful since the mixture tends to spatter
when the coffee first makes contact. Mix well and let cool.
- Stir in the whiskey and refrigerate.
Yield: about 2 1/4 cups