Irish Whiskey Cheesecake
Part cheesecake, part Bavarian cream, this very light, no-bake dessert is flavored with smooth Irish whiskey cream liqueur and accented throughout with chocolate.
- 2 1/2 cups (213g) chocolate wafer cookies, crumbled
- 6 tablespoons (85g) butter, melted
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (99g) granulated sugar, divided
- 11 ounces (312g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup (152g) Irish whiskey cream liqueur
- 2 teaspoons (1 packet) unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons (43g) cool water
- 1 cup (227g) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (113g) heavy cream
- 3/4 cup (128g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Crust: Pulse the cookies in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the butter and mix until the cookie crumbs are evenly moistened. Press the mixture across the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of a lightly greased 9- or 10-inch springform pan. Refrigerate to set the crust.
- Filling: Whisk the egg yolks with 1/4 cup of the sugar in a medium mixing bowl over 1 inch of simmering water, until the mixture is light-colored and thick, able to hold a ribbon as it drops off the whisk back into the bowl. This will take 3 to 4 minutes; be sure to whisk continuously. Remove from the heat.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream cheese with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar until fluffy and completely smooth. Whisk into the warm egg mixture; then add the Irish whiskey cream liqueur and mix until evenly combined.
- In a small heatproof dish, combine the gelatin and water; let sit for 3 minutes. Heat gently over hot water or at low power in the microwave in 10-second bursts, swirling until dissolved. Whisk the dissolved gelatin into the cream cheese mixture.
- Whip the heavy cream to soft peaks and fold it in. Pour the filling mixture on top of the crust in the pan and use a small offset spatula to smooth the top.
- Chill, uncovered, for at least 1 1/2 hours, until set.
- To unmold the cake: Run a thin spatula around the edge of the pan to free the cake before unclipping the pan and removing the side. Cool the cake completely.
- Topping: Heat the cream and chocolate together over low heat, stirring until the mixture is smooth. Pour into a pool in the center of the cake, as shown; or drizzle over the top and down the sides.
- Store any leftovers, well wrapped, in the refrigerator for several days.
Prep: 45 min | Yield: one 9- or 10-inch cake
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
King Arthur Flour