Steamed Irish Whiskey Pudding
- 4 ounces wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces Crisco
- 4 ounces dark brown sugar
- 1 pound mixed dried fruit
- 4 ounces candied peel, chopped
- 4 ounces soft breadcrumbs
- 1 ounce flaked almonds
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 4 tablespoons Irish whiskey
- 5 fluid ounces stout
- Sift the flour and baking powder.
- Put the Crisco and sugar into a large bowl and beat until creamy,
then add all the remaining ingredients and mix very well, to
a thick, creamy consistency.
- Allow to stand overnight.
- The next day, put the mixture into a lightly greased 2 1/2-pint
basin (or two 1 pint basins), cover with a circle of greased
grease-proof paper and secure with foil or a pudding cloth.
- Steam for 6-8 hours.
- Cool, then put a clean piece of foil on top of the bowl, and
store in a cool dry place until required. Steam for a further
3 hours and flame with warmed brandy before serving.
Yield: 1 pudding