Corned Beef Brisket with Cabbage
- 1 (3 pound) corned beef brisket
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium head of cabbage, cored, cut into wedges
- 1 cup maple-flavored or pancake syrup
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon KRAFT Prepared Horseradish
- Place meat in large saucepan. Add onion, garlic, bay leaves and enough water
just to cover all ingredients. Cover with lid. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 1 hour.
- Drain, reserving meat in pan. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Cover meat with fresh water; cover with lid. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low;
simmer an additional 2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat from pan, reserving liquid in pan; place meat in shallow baking pan.
- Add cabbage to reserved liquid in pan; cook until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix syrup, mustard and horseradish;
spoon half of the syrup mixture over meat. Reserve remaining syrup mixture for brushing onto cooked meat.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until meat is well glazed, brushing frequently with the
remaining syrup mixture.
- Place meat on serving platter. Spoon pan drippings over meat.
- Serve with cabbage.
Prep: 15 min | Total: 4 hr 50 min | Yield: 12 servings
To Double: Prepare as directed, using a 6-pound beef brisket and doubling all
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Kraft Foods - kraftrecipes.com