Corned Beef and Cabbage
Variation: Corned beef may also be cooked in the oven at 300 degrees F for 4 hours instead of on top of the stove.
- 1 (4 pound) corned beef brisket with seasonings
- 4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 6 carrots, halved
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
- Remove corned beef from package and place in a large kettle. Cover with water, bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes.
- Remove the residue that will float to the top.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for about 4 hours, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove corned beef from kettle (keep water) and place on a carving board or platter. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- To kettle, add potatoes and carrots. Cook 20 minutes; add cabbage wedges and cook an additional 10 minutes until cabbage is tender.
- Slice corned beef, against the grain. Place on large platter; arrange vegetables around beef.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Texas Beef Council