- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup beef stock or bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 5 medium potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 tablespoon butter or bacon fat
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brown the beef in oil. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Drain most of the accumulated fat from the pan.
- Sauté onions until tender, and then add chopped tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth and stir in herbs and seasonings.
- Return browned meat to skillet and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Transfer all ingredients to an ovenproof casserole. Top with mashed potatoes
(scoring them with a fork.)
- Dot with butter and bake uncovered in 375 degree F oven for 30-40 minutes.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings