Crusty Roast Lamb (Uaineoil faoi chrusta)
- 1 (4 pound) shoulder of lamb
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Pinch mixed herbs
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored and sliced
- 10 ounces chicken stock
- Wipe the lamb all over, and cut crisscross slits around the top.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, herbs, butter, salt and pepper.
Rub the mixture onto the top of the meat, pressing down well so that it sticks.
- Fill the bottom of the roasting pan with the vegetables and
apple, mixing them and the seasoning well. Put the joint on top, then pour the stock into the pan, but not over the
- Cover loosely with a piece of foil and bake at 400 degrees F for
- Lower the heat to 350 degrees F, and bake for a further 20 to
25 minutes per pound. Remove foil for the final half hour, and check that the vegetables are nearly cooked.
- Finish the cooking without the foil to let the top get brown and crusty.
Yield: 6 servings