Dijon-Glazed Corned Beef with
Savory Cabbage and Red Potatoes
Dijon-Glazed Corned Beef will be the star of your Saint Patrick's day dinner. It is also an excellent source of fiber, protein, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of niacin and vitamin B6.
- 1 boneless Corned Beef Brisket with seasoning packet (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions, including white and green parts
- 1/2 cup horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 head green cabbage, cored, cut into 6 wedges (1 to 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 pounds small red-skinned potatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- Position oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place Corned Beef Brisket in roasting pan; sprinkle garlic, contents of seasoning packet and peppercorns around and over brisket. Add water; cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Braise in upper third of 350 degree F oven 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until brisket is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, place butter, green onions, horseradish, ground pepper and salt in glass measuring cup. Microwave on HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until butter melts; mix well.
- Place cabbage wedges on one half of baking sheet and potatoes on other half. Drizzle remaining horseradish-butter mixture over vegetables, turning cabbage and tossing potatoes to coat. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Roast in lower third of 350 degree F oven with brisket 55 minutes.
- Uncover vegetables; continue roasting 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and begin to brown.
- Combine glaze ingredients in small bowl.
- Remove brisket from roasting pan; place on rack in broiler pan so surface of brisket is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Brush glaze over brisket; broil 2 to 3 minutes or until glaze is bubbly and beginning to brown.
- Carve brisket diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Cover and refrigerate 1/2 of brisket (about 12 ounces) and 2 cups potatoes for Rustic Corned Beef & Potato Bake.
- Serve remaining brisket and potatoes with cabbage.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 568 calories; 34 g fat (16 g saturated fat; 12 g monounsaturated fat); 129 mg cholesterol; 1344 mg sodium; 44 g carbohydrate; 9.3 g fiber; 22 g protein; 2.9 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 1.4 mcg vitamin B12;
4.1 mg iron; 29.7 mcg selenium; 4.4 mg zinc
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Cattlemens Beef Board and National Cattlemen's Beef Association