Typical of yesteryear Irish dinners, this potato-cabbage side
dish adds new interest to mashed potatoes.
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 5 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions or leeks
- 1/2 cup snipped parsley
- White pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large saucepan cook potatoes, covered, in a small amount
of boiling salted water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a medium saucepan, cook cabbage, uncovered, in a small amount
of boiling salted water for 2 minutes.
- Cover and cook for 6 to 8 minutes more or until tender. Drain.
- Mash potatoes. Stir in milk, onions and parsley. Season to taste
with salt and pepper. Add butter and drained cabbage. Stir until butter or margarine is melted and
mixture is combined.
Yield: 12 side-dish servings
Nutritional facts per serving calories: 120, total fat: 3g, saturated fat: 2g, cholesterol: 7mg, sodium: 53mg, carbohydrate: 21g, fiber: 3g, protein: 4g, vitamin A: 6%, vitamin C: 50%, calcium: 6%, iron: 7%