Irish Pot-Roasted Chicken
- 1 (4 to 5 pound) chicken
- 4 ounces oatmeal
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons stock
- Salt and pepper
- 6 ounces bacon
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 2 pounds potatoes
- Seasoned flour
- 3 tablespoons drippings or oil
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- If there are giblets with the bird, take them out, wash all
but the liver (reserve that for another use), and cover with water, add salt and pepper, bring to the boil
and simmer for half an hour.
- Wipe the bird inside and out and remove any lumps of fat from
the inside; sprinkle with salt.
- Mix together the oatmeal, chopped onion, butter, stock and seasoning.
Stuff the bird with this mixture and secure well.
- Heat the drippings or oil and lightly fry the bacon, then chop
and put into a casserole. Quickly brown the bird in the same fat and put on top of the bacon. Soften the onion
and briefly sauté the carrots, then add to the casserole.
- Strain the giblet stock and make it up to about 1/2 liter. Heat
and pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook in a moderate oven (350 degrees F) for about one
- Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into thick slices and blanch them
in boiling water, or steam them for about 5 minutes. Toss them in seasoned flour and add them to the casserole,
adding a little more of the giblet stock if needed.
- Cover with buttered wax paper and continue cooking for another
1/2 hour, taking off the paper for the last few minutes for browning.
Yield: 4 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.