Irish Pot-Roasted Chicken
- 1 (4 to 5 pound) chicken
- 4 ounces oatmeal
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons stock
- Salt and pepper
- 6 ounces bacon
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 2 pounds potatoes
- Seasoned flour
- 3 tablespoons drippings or oil
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- If there are giblets with the bird, take them out, wash all
but the liver (reserve that for another use), and cover with
water, add salt and pepper, bring to the boil and simmer for half an hour.
- Wipe the bird inside and out and remove any lumps of fat from
the inside; sprinkle with salt.
- Mix together the oatmeal, chopped onion, butter, stock and seasoning.
Stuff the bird with this mixture and secure well.
- Heat the drippings or oil and lightly fry the bacon, then chop
and put into a casserole. Quickly brown the bird in the same
fat and put on top of the bacon. Soften the onion and briefly
sauté the carrots, then add to the casserole.
- Strain the giblet stock and make it up to about 1/2 liter. Heat
and pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook in a moderate oven
(350 degrees F) for about one hour.
- Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into thick slices and blanch them
in boiling water, or steam them for about 5 minutes. Toss them
in seasoned flour and add them to the casserole, adding a little
more of the giblet stock if needed.
- Cover with buttered wax
paper and continue cooking for another 1/2 hour, taking off
the paper for the last few minutes for browning.
Yield: 4 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> St. Patrick's Day Recipes