The name for this British dish means "mixed together"
- rumbled, and "bashed together" - thumped. This is
a meatless main course but can also be served as a vegetable
dish along with meat.
- 1 pound potatoes
- 1 pound green cabbage, spring cabbage or kale
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped or 2 leeks, finely chopped (just the white part)
- 3 ounces butter
- Single cream (light table cream)
- 2 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Chopped fresh chives
- Black pepper salt
- Slice the potatoes thickly and boil in salted water. Once cooked,
drain and mash.
- Slice the cabbage and steam or boil gently in salted water,
do not over-cook!
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed pan and cook the onions
or leeks. Once they are all completely soft, add the cooked potatoes and cabbage. Add a little cream,
season to taste and beat together.
- Place the mixture in an oven safe dish, cover
with Cheddar cheese and place under a hot broiler to brown.
- Garnish with chives and serve.
4 to 6 servings
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.