Baked Cabbage with Bacon
- 3/4 pound bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 1 (1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pound) cabbage, quartered, thinly sliced
- 1 large leek (white and pale green parts only), thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place bacon in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Sauté
until fat begins to render and bacon begins to brown, about 12 minutes.
- Add cabbage and leek. Sauté until cabbage wilts, about 10 minutes.
- Add water; bring to boil. Cover pot, reduce
heat to medium and simmer until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat and boil until all liquid evaporates,
stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in parsley and green onions.
Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to 9-inch glass pie dish.
- Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add
breadcrumbs; stir until crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over cabbage mixture.
- Bake until heated through, about 10 minutes.
Yield: 6 side dish servings